Try our Free Online Math Solver!
Fractions and Ratios
To work with your child on the key concepts, try these rewarding activities.
1. Ask your child to measure the lengths of two objects using a ruler. Then ask him or
her to calculate the sum and difference of their lengths .
2. Ask your child to explain how to use the fraction operation keys on his or her
calculator . For example, ask your child to show you how to enter fractions and mixed
numbers , simplify fractions, and convert between fractions and decimals .
3. Help your child identify advertisements in signs, newspapers, and magazines that use
percents. Help your child find the sale price of an item that is discounted by a certain
percent. For example, a $40 shirt reduced by 25% costs $30.
As You Help Your Child with Homework
As your child brings assignments home, you might want to go over the instructions
together, clarifying them as necessary. The answers listed below will guide you through
this unit’s Study Links.
Study Link 8 1
7. Sample answer: The quick common
denominator is , or .
So is greater
14. Sample answer:
is half of
, or 0.625.
21. Sample answer:
is less than
, so is less than 1.
Study Link 8 2
Study Link 8 3
Study Link 8 4
Study Link 8 5
5. Nina: ; Phillip: ; Ezra: ; Benjamin:
Study Link 8 6
Study Link 8 7
Study Link 8 8
Study Link 8 9
2. Calculated discounts: $100.00; $1,600.00;
$7.84; $0.75; $8.70; $5.28; $810.00; $385.00
Study Link 8 10
3. 1,200 miles
5. 16 min.
Study Link 8
Sample answers for Problems 1–4:
Study Link 8 12