Try our Free Online Math Solver!
Course Syllabus for Elementary Algebra
Satisfactory placement test score or “C” in Math 090 or
091 or equivalent . Not intended for transfer.
This is the first course in the algebra sequence. Topics studied include: linear equations and inequalities
in one variable , lines, polynomials, factoring, systems of linear equations, radicals, and quadratic
Course Objectives: See attached.
Topic or Class Activity
Chapter R Pre-algebra Review
Chapter 1 Real Numbers and Introduction to Algebra
Chapter 2 Equations, Inequalities, and Problem Solving
Chapter 3 Exponents and Polynomials
Chapter 4 Factoring Polynomials
Chapter 5 Rational Expressions
Chapter 6 Graphing Equations and Inequalities
Chapter 7 Systems of Linear Equations
Chapter 8 Roots and Radicals
Chapter 9 Quadratic Equations
Martin-Gay Third Edition
|Chapters R & 1||R.1 – R.3; 1.1 – 1.8||1 – 16; 18, 19||2 weeks|
|Chapter 2||2.1 – 2.7||20 – 28||2 weeks|
|Chapter 3||3.1 – 3.7||29 – 37||1.5 weeks|
|Chapter 4||4.1 – 4.7||38 – 45||2 weeks|
|Chapter 5||5.1 – 5.7||46 – 52||1.5 weeks|
||6.1 – 6.8
May omit 6.6 and 6.8
|53 – 60 and 17
|Chapter 7||7.1 – 7.4||61 – 63||1 week|
|Chapter 8||8.1 – 8.6||64 – 70||1.5 weeks|
|Chapter 9||9.1 – 9.3||71 – 73||1 week|
Testing Recommendations: Test Chapters R and 1 together; individual chapter tests for Chapters 2 – 9.
Upon completion of the course the student will be able to:
1. Write the prime factorization of a number.
2. Find the LCM of two or more numbers.
3. Reduce fractions .
4. Add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions.
5. Rewrite fractions, decimals and percents using all three notations.
6. Round decimals.
7. Add, subtract, multiply and divide decimals.
8. Change verbal statements into algebraic statements or equations.
9. Identify integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers and real numbers.
10. Compute absolute value of a real number.
11. Evaluate algebraic expressions using real numbers.
12. Simplify numerical expressions involving exponents using order of operations.
13. Determine whether a number is a solution to a given equation.
14. Add, subtract, multiply and divide signed numbers .
15. Find the reciprocal of a real number.
16. Recognize and apply algebraic properties: commutative, associative, distributive, identity and inverse.
17. Interpret bar graphs and line graphs.
18. Add and subtract like terms.
19. Simplify expressions containing parentheses.
20. Solve linear equations.
21. Recognize false, conditional and identity statements.
22. Solve linear equations containing fractions and decimals .
23. Use linear equations to solve word problems.
24. Solve formulas.
25. Use formulas to solve problems.
26. Solve percent problems using equations/proportions.
27. Solve inequalities and graph the solution on a number line.
28. Write solutions to inequalities using set notation.
29. Evaluate algebraic expressions containing exponents.
30. Simplify expressions containing integer exponents.
31. Convert numbers into scientific notation; multiply and divide numbers in scientific notation.
32. Define: polynomial, binomial, trinomial, term, coefficient, and degree.
33. Add/Subtract polynomials.
34. Multiply a polynomial by a monomial.
35. Multiply a polynomial by a polynomial.
36. Square a binomial.
37. Divide a polynomial by a polynomial.
38. Factor a polynomial using the greatest common factor.
39. Factor a polynomial by grouping .
40. Factor a trinomial of the form .
41. Factor a trinomial of the form .
42. Factor the difference of two squares.
43. Recognize and factor a perfect square trinomial.
44. Solve quadratic equations by factoring.
45. Solve word problems using quadratic equations.
46. Determine values for which a rational expression is undefined.
47. Reduce rational expressions to lowest terms .
48. Determine the least common denominator for rational expressions.
49. Add, subtract, divide and multiply rational expressions.
50. Solve equations containing rational expressions.
51. Solve word problems: work, distance-rate-time and similar triangles.
52. Simplify complex fractions.
53. Graph a linear equation.
54. Compute intercepts and graph a linear equation using intercepts.
55. Find the slope of a line .
56. State slopes and graph horizontal and vertical lines.
57. Use the slope-intercept form to find the equation of a line.
58. Use the point-slope formula to find the equation of a line.
59. Determine parallel and perpendicular lines.
60. Graph linear inequalities.
61. Solve systems of linear equations by graphing.
62. Solve systems of linear equations by addition and substitution.
63. Solve word problems using systems of linear equations: distance-rate-time, mixture, money, and number
64. Simplify radicals: square roots.
65. Simplify radicals using the product and/or quotient rules .
66. Add/subtract radicals.
67. Multiply/divide radicals.
68. Rationalize denominators containing radicals.
69. Solve radical equations.
70. Use the Pythagorean Theorem.
71. Solve quadratic equations using the square root property.
72. Solve quadratic equations by completing the square.
73. Solve quadratic equations using the quadratic formula.